Institute for Chemical Processing of Coal operates under Act on Research Institutes from the 30th of April 2010.
It was established pursuant to The Resolution of Council of Ministers no 192/55 from March 1955.
The founding and the supervising body of the Institute is the Minister of Economic Development.
It is already 11 years since the Institute, on the basis of the evaluation performed by Research Centers Evaluation Committee, has been classified by the Minister of Science and Higher Education as A CATEGORY research unit in the group of common evaluation of science and engineering.
The main recipients and customers of the Institute know-how are companies from power, coke-making and waste-processing industries, small and medium enterprises as well as organizations from government and self-government administration.
The Institute participates in many R&D and implementation projects, cooperating with more than 50 national and international scientific and R&D centers.